Contritter

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Hello,

I recently installed TweetMyPC to my computer to see if it would work. Sure enough, it did!

So I decided to see what I could do to help the project out. I thought about it for a while, and then I realized that the only inconvenience of the program is having to memorize the commands and having to access Twitter in order to control your PC.

So I put my PHP development skills to work, along with Twitter's API, and came up with Contritter (blending of Control and Twitter). Contritter allows you to send commands to your PC's Twitter account simply by selecting it from a menu. There's also a field you can use to enter a custom command.

I have a beta up right now at http://bit.ly/aPBxQX (I'm using my own web server right now, but will have a domain up soon). Right now, I'm not too concerned about the design of the program, but rather how well the code works.

I'd like you all to try it and see how it works. Please let me know what you think of it, and please post suggestions. If enough interest builds, I will create an iPhone WebApp, redesign the interface, and make it easier to enter commands that require a custom variable (like URL).

Hope you all like the beta!

Anthony

Developer
Jul 25, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Thank you for your work.

That's a very good idea :)

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2010 at 3:48 AM
Hi Thank you for the work. Looks very good. Very good idea and useful too. We are working on a Windows Phone 7 app and iphone app will be cool ;-). Why not implement oAuth? Let us know when it is out of beta we will add it to our product home page. Shoban
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Today marks the launch of beta version 0.2, which is a heck of a lot different. Here are some new features.

• oAuth (Twitter will be shutting down basic API in late August, so I switched it over)
  • New interface and clean design.
  • Video Tutorial page (Chocolate Rain is a placeholder video until Contritter goes gold, which will include a finished video tutorial).
  • Twitter profile photo displayed along with username.

Again guys, I need feedback. Lots of it.

We have registered a domain, and you can now access Contritter by simply going to http://www.contritter.com.

Developer
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM
That is amazing!!! Thank you sooooooo muh for your work. The website works nice and I couldent find any errors. One question When will the iPhone/iphon touch version be out? I have a iPod touch so I will test it. thanks again
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Wow!!! What a drastic change in UI and others ;-) Congrats and nice job there. Have few comments. but do you think its better to discuss over email ? mail me at Shobankr[at]gmail.com and I will copy our guys and we can discuss. What do you think?
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:46 PM
I emailed you.

@giodamelio; I'm in the process of developing the app.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM, shobankr <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wow!!! What a drastic change in UI and others ;-) Congrats and nice job there. Have few comments. but do you think its better to discuss over email ? mail me at Shobankr[at]gmail.com and I will copy our guys and we can discuss. What do you think?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tweetmypc@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tweetmypc@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM

So, what did you do to not get in trouble with the twitter api limitations?

(Also: Nice design! - Am I right that you made it using Artisteer, if yes, could you maybe contact me?.... thanks)

Stefan

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM

by the way: anyone here who knows for sure if windows phone 7 will support multitasking / having apps run in the background?

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I contacted you, BasisBit, but received no response.

Beta 0.3 will soon be launched. This will include a few bug fixes, along with the About and Contact pages fully working. I expect the new beta to be out by Thursday. With the current progress, I expect it to go gold by mid September.

Also, the launch of the iDevice version beta will be coming out soon.

Thanks,

Anthony

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Sorry CrownVictoriaCop, but I never received an email from you, and I just checked my spam folder :(

Anyway, I will release TweetMyPC version 3.2 with better debugging, some code fixes, faster reaction time and oAuth support tomorrow / in a few hours.

CrownVictoriaCop: how did you get the twitter oAuth keys? with what name did you register the application?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Same here!! I didn't receive any email. I sent you an email with Comments/bugs that day copying Stefan and Taylor but did not receive any reply from you.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

@BasisBit; I registered the App as Contritter. You need to add your application to Twitter, which will give you your keys. https://twitter.com/apps is where you register. I sent you an email from your CodePlex profile, email me manually at millipedeman@gmail.com.

@shobankr; I received your email and am working on the bugs.

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM

@CrownVictoriaCop: I know the twitter oAuth and it is already working here since half a day now, but I just asked because someone registered the application "TweetMyPC" so I had to use "Tweet My PC" instead as name. I asked twitter support (as shoban already did earlier some time ago) but they don't want to tell who registered, but just that this account is still active used today, so I had to go with the spaces-name....

so everything is fine for now.

PS: do you have the artisteer standard or home edition with key? (My dad's company needs a new website - really simple structure - and because of the economic changes currently, they try to save every cent....)

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Email me BasisBit and we can talk.

Anthony

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I'm very sorry I haven't updated the project weekly. Things have gotten hectic at my job and I had a server break down on me. Rest assured, Contritter is still in development. I plan to integrate "Click 2 Command" functionality before I release the next version, which will make it even easier to control a pc.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Today Marks The Release of Version 0.4.5

New Features

• Basic Windows Commands (Shutdown, Logoff, Etc.) have been converted to Click 2 Command. Users can now simply click a button in the control panel to perform these actions, and the control panel area for them looks just like a Windows shutdown screen!
  • Basic About and Contact Us page are up.
  • Homepage icons changed.

By version 0.5., all commands will be converted to Click 2 Command. Version 0.6 will have ALL TweetMyPC commands, including ones that require custom user input.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Thanks .. Let us know when you make it public

Coordinator
May 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM

.... did you rename the project or is it just death? would love to see it alive again

May 29, 2011 at 12:14 AM
BasisBit wrote:

.... did you rename the project or is it just death? would love to see it alive again

I lost hosting for the project, which is why the site went offline. I'm working to bring it back online and completely revamp it. It's going to have a new, simpler, interface.

Coordinator
May 29, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I can do hosting for you if needed - as long as you have the domain.

May 29, 2011 at 3:16 PM
Thanks, but I got my server back. I'll post a screenshot too of what I'm working on a little later.

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM, BasisBit <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I can do hosting for you if needed - as long as you have the domain.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (tweetmypc@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email tweetmypc@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

May 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I uploaded the first alpha version of the new site to http://contritter.com/. It doesn't have much yet, but it works!

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM

yes, it's working! awesome!

when I get more free time, I will create a windows phone 7 app like contritter and publish it to the windows phone market place..

just because it's fun!

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 8:00 PM

weird.... I tried darkscreen 10 minutes ago, and now suddenly tweetmypc got and executed the darkscreen command again a couple of times...

May 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM
BasisBit wrote:

weird.... I tried darkscreen 10 minutes ago, and now suddenly tweetmypc got and executed the darkscreen command again a couple of times...

Didn't have the issue with mine. The darkscreen command posted once upon command, and then my computer did it. Tried the darkscreen command again and got an API error for sending a duplicate tweet within a short period.

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 8:04 PM

then make contritter post something like "darkscreen##10:04 PM".

thats what tweetmypc does with the answer messages to the commands, too.

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM

do you have skype or google talk or jabber?

May 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM
BasisBit wrote:

do you have skype or google talk or jabber?

I can append those time things to the end. I can only communicate via text IM, no voice. I have gTalk and Windows Live messenger.