Can same tweet control multiple PC's at once?

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I'm testing this for the first time tonight...

So far works great on 1st computer (run's .bat file)

So I then set up TweetMyPC on a 2nd computer hoping that with one tweet it would run the .bat file on all configured computers, but it still only ran it on the 1st computer.

Both have been authorized with Twitter (both log into same Twitter account), are able to send a test tweet, etc

Do I just need to troubleshoot some more or will this only work with one PC <--> Twitter account ?

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

TweetMyPC checks for new tweets periodically so these 2 PCs may not be checking at the same time... also TMPC replies to Tweets so the first PC which checks for new Tweet replies and make the command invalid. 

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM

natv: why not just use 2 twitter accounts?

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Multiple Twitter accounts would just be a pain as from my phone I'd then have to log out of one, and into the other account...

...OK so the first PC will reply with a tweet that invalidates the command... makes sense

What if then, I had a different command for each PC?  

Sounds like that would work.

Basically, I live in a stormy area, and when there is a lightening storm, if I'm not home, I want to be able to tell multiple computers to shut down.  So I guess I can just set up a custom command for each like:

shut1
shut2
shut3

and each would just listen for their own keyword.  I'd still have send 3 tweets, but that's easier than managing 3 twitter accounts.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM

that should work if you wait for the tweetmypc reply before sending the next command...

the problem with having tweetmypc not reply to the command with a new tweet would be that if you start your computer again, tweetmypc can't know if it did already execute the command before you shut down your computer or not.

---

BasisBit

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM

This would be really useful.

@BasisBit: can the computers respond by including their MAC or IP address? Then multiple machines could execute the same command.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM

and how do you wan to make that secure?

Jul 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I was also looking for a way to execute a single command on multiple machines and TweetMyPC looked promising until I saw this thread. My issue is that the PC's are not all in the same location and are not on a single VPN. I'd like to run a batch file once a month, at my discretion, to initiate a cleanup procedure and a Reverse VNC session to my PC so I can go in and check for any additional things that need to be addressed.

Instead of the user having to send 3 individual tweets, would it be possible to modify the program to look for a computer ID in the tweet, and have computer's reply with their computer ID followed by the message?

IE: monthlycleanup

--- pc1 - done

--- pc2 - done

--- pc4 - done

that way the command only gets invalidated for the PC that received and replied to the command?

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Hi RADRaze2KX

How about creating custom commands for each PC? Did you try that?

Shoban